Friday, April 07, 2006

Pick me up, take me home, and fall in love with me...


I bought this album just a few days ago and I’ve already listened to it 5,429 times. Of course, this is in part due to how short it is, but quality has a lot to do with it also. If you like jazz singing, or just singing in general, you ought to go and buy it. Throughout the whole thing, Ms. Jordan’s voice is backed by just guitar, bass, and drums, and the album is divided pretty much evenly between sultry torch songs and brief, jaunty evergreens. All of them are priceless, with the arguable exception of “Dat Dere”, a song with baby-talk lyrics that I just can’t get used to, no matter how impressive the performance is here. I won’t dwell on that, though. Especially not when, about twenty minutes later, there’s a version of “I’m A Fool To Want You” that can, under the right circumstances, make me cry like a great big sissy. “I’m A Fool To Want You” is one of those perfect songs that---in the hands of great interpreters like Sinatra, Jordan, and saxophonist Dexter Gordon---can make even the most aloof hipster wistful.

You probably need this album. If you think you don’t, you’re kidding yourself.