Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The strangest person I've ever been mistaken for...

At work last night, I was listening to an Ella Fitzgerald CD. A woman I work with came around to my desk and said, “Oh my God, Kevin, I thought that was you singing!”

I was a little dumbstruck, but I recovered gracefully, “That’s Ella Fitzgerald,” I said.

“Yeah, but I thought it was you!” she said.

“Ella Fitzgerald is a woman,” I protested.

“I know! I thought it was kind of weird! I was all like, wow, Kevin sings like a woman!” she explained before she went back to what she was supposed to be doing.

It was sort of flattering, I suppose. Ella Fitzgerald is, after all, a great singer. I suppose it would be cool if I could sing like her. I can’t, though. I’m stuck with my lustrous, smooth, Nat King Cole baritone. Oh well, I guess it’s better than nothing...