Friday, June 30, 2006

A Very Short Interlude--Flip-flopping on the Talking Heads...


I just got back from doing a little work at my local coffeeshop. While I was there, they were playing some kind of Talking Heads best-of collection. Now, just a few years ago, I would have thought something along the lines of "Oh, great! The Talking Heads! I enjoy their challenging music and literate, socially-aware lyrics!". Today, however, I instead thought "Goddamnit, the Talking Heads! I can't stand their pompous, tinny sound and David Byrne's ridiculously affected yelping-nerd singing voice!"

Why have I come to dislike the Talking Heads so much? Was I just in a bad mood, or have I gained the wisdom and maturity necessary to see them as they really are: a bunch of art-school snobs who made ugly, unappealing music? I don't know, I'm afraid I just don't know...